I’m not calling this a purse, because it’s not really. But it’s also not an all-out grocery type tote. I’m gonna call it a hobo bag. Because A) it is a hobo bag and B) then it kind of sounds like I meant for it to be a little shabby.
Once again, spurred by our upcoming trip to Hawaii (can you tell that we never go on vacation?), I am wanting a compact, lightweight, and useful bag to cruise around the island with. It only needs to hold a few things – sunblock, my phone, wallet, lip balm, and maybe a bottle of water. It needn’t be a beach bag (although I totally sewed one of those as well!). So I went to pinterest and found a tutorial for exactly the type of bag I was looking for. Something simple that didn’t require too much technique, and had simple, easy to understand instructions. Oh, and a printable pattern didn’t hurt either!
So I got to it. I bought 2 yards of quilting-type cotton fabric. I also learned that there is such a thing as “designer” fabric that is not a standard apparel type of fabric. For some reason, I expected this stuff to be cheap, but it wasn’t. It was like $10/yd. If I had been able to locate remnants, that probably would have been good. The store I was at had just cleared out their remnants section, and since I was set on having a mint lining… well… I coughed up the $20 for 2 yards of fabric and went on my merry way.
I just followed the directions on the tutorial, but regardless, I started with the pattern. It requires that you cut out 2 pieces of each fabric. I did so. Then I marked where the darts go, stitched along the lines, trimmed the extraneous material away, and pinned the pieces together, right-sides facing in.
The next step was to sew the bottom and sides together, making 2 little baggies
After they were stitched to themselves, the trick was nesting the mint into the navy (right sides together) and kind of pairing up the parts where they needed to pair. All but the really strappy end parts got sewn together. Take your time on this portion and make sure that it all makes sense. Afterwards, I turned it right side out. It was like pulling a grapefruit through a sweatshirt sleeve. Doable, but kinda tricky.
Then the only thing left was ironing all of the seams in, and stitching around all the strap parts after sewing straps together. My “decorative” stitch sucked. I am considering doing something a lot less visible like the gal who did the tutorial did. I think it takes the bag from “neat” to “obviously homemade,” which isn’t exactly the look I’m going for. But it’ll be perfect for cruising around Maui for random adventures.
I actually had enough extra fabric to make another bag. The second one didn’t have the straps. Instead, I just cut it straight across, (but it still has the darts and rounded bottom), then sewed some navy nylon webbing into the top seam to function as straps.