Green drawers

Like…. bright green.  Yeah, I know, you thought this was going to be about my pantaloons.  It’s not.  You see…. I spend too much time on pinterest.  And one of the things that I saw on pinterest was where someone painted the inside of a dresser a bright and unexpected color.  I was smitten.  I needed to do it.  But then I didn’t have any dressers that I was willing to sacrifice.  But now I have the island!  And along with the island, I have totally gross drawers and shelves, with decades of someone else’s drawer crud.  It’s more than I can bear to consider putting my food preparation items in something so….yucky.

Gross used cabinets
Perry looks pissed, right?

So that’s why I painted the inside of the island an exciting color.  And if I hate it in 6 months?  It’s just paint and several hours of my life.  Easy enough!  When I painted the original kitchen cabinets, I used Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Alkyd based.  It forms a beautiful hard shell and is silky to work with.  But it STINKS and is such an ordeal to clean the brush.  But off I went to the Benjamin Moore store to talk to their expert about my options.  He suggested their Advance line.  It’s a hybrid apparently, which means that you get the super hard finish and satiny creamy goodness in the application, but you can wash your brush with soap and water…. FUCK YES!  So my handy dandy paint associate mixed up a quart of “Douglas Fir” for me, and then gave me a paper cup full of additional pigment to tint the stain-blocking primer that I’d be using.  Turns out I suck at guessing how much of anything to use for painting, so the first stuff I primed was a pretty green color, and towards the end I was totally out of pigment and just priming things in white.  It still seemed to work.

Primed drawers and cabinets

After the initial coat of primer, I waited overnight and got to coat 1 of paint.  I should have sanded between the 2, but I didn’t.  It stuck fine.

First coat of paint on cabinets and drawers

I let that dry for a few days as it seems to take a little longer than a standard oil based paint to set up hard enough for sanding.  Worthwhile tradeoff.  Long dry time, no fumes, no paint thinner.  Anyway, By then I had some drips, rough areas, etc that needed sanding prior to the possible final coat, so I got to it!

Sanding between coats of paint

You can see the yellow spots and streaks.  Those are high spots from the primer peeking through.

Sanding between coats of paint

Sanding drips of paint
Big drips from the primer.

Sanding between coats of paint

tack cloth

Follow up the sanding with a good wipedown from a tack cloth.  It’s basically a piece of cheesecloth that’s impregnated with some sort of sticky waxy material that picks up dust.  It’s totally rad.

Anyway, I did a second coat of paint and feel reasonably pleased with how things look.  So I let them dry for another few days and installed the glides and the island is back together for now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s